If an automotive accident is severe enough, the resulting injuries could cause devastating results. In some cases, the accident could cause mental or physical disability, or may result in temporary or permanent incapacitation. If you are the family member of someone who become incapacitated as the result of an accident, you may be wondering what you can do to help them during their time of need.

Filing a Lawsuit for an Incapacitated Loved One

One way loved ones can support their loved one after a devastating accident is by filing a personal injury lawsuit on their behalf. Severe injuries result in countless medical expenses, they may never return to work, or may pass away as a result of the injuries. A personal injury lawsuit can not only recoup the expenses experienced, but also offer damages to the injured party and their loved ones for the emotional suffering they have endured since the accident.

First Step: Establishing Guardianship

The first step you can take in filing a lawsuit on your loved one’s behalf is establishing guardianship. If your loved one is found to be incapable of making decisions on their own behalf, the courts will work with you to establish yourself as guardian. A lawyer can work closely with you as you complete the paperwork and gather evidence for the courts in order to gain rights to make decisions on behalf of your loved one.

Making Your Case

In order to win a personal injury lawsuit for your loved one, it is important that you gather plenty of evidence from the accident and employ the services of expert witness, including your loved one’s doctors. A professional personal injury attorney can guide you step-by-step as your make your case in court, helping you navigate the complicated laws and procedures required for a successful personal injury claim.

If you live in Atlanta or the surrounding areas, and a loved one has become incapacitated as the result of an accident, click here or call 404-285-4205 to speak with one of the experience personal injury lawyers at Howe & Associates Personal Injury Attorneys.